Coach Pickup - Opposite Park Close
George & Dragon
Tarvin Community Centre
Tarvin Community Centre
By Tarvin Webteam - 22nd February 2015 6:00am
Believe it or not but this has been National Chip Week!
We seem to have a new initiative every week but they are usually for a good reason or worthwhile cause.
The main advice from Cheshire Fire & Rescue services is that you can reduce the chance of having a fire in your home, by throwing away your traditional chip pan as they can cause fatal fires.
There are other options for cooking chips that will keep you and your family safer.
- Microwave them. It's quick, easy and they taste just as good
- Choose oven chips instead. Not only are they safer to cook but they're lower in fat too
- Instead of cooking chips at home, why not buy chips from the local chip shop
- Buy an electric deep fryer and ditch the chip pan. They are much safer
Tips for cooking chips safely
- If you must cook chips in a traditional chip pan you should follow these fire safety tips:
- Don't cook after drinking alcohol
- Don't throw water on a chip pan fire
- Don't overfill a chip pan with oil — never fill it more than one-third full
- Take care when cooking with hot oil — it sets alight easily
- If the oil starts to smoke, it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can't overheat.
- Do not leave cooking unattended and avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob.
- Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn't splash.
What to do if a pan catches fire
- Don't take any risks
- Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so
- NEVER throw water over it
- Don't tackle the fire yourself
Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999
If you want to see what happens in a chip fire have a look at this video from the Fire Service - just press the link
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We now have the revised draft planThere will be 2 public consultation events on September 12th and 14th 2018 (see the Calendar for...
A SLAVE auction in the summer of 1991 by lower sixth formers at Tarporley High School raised £340. Half of this was given to Tarporley Hospital.The photograph shows Lesley Wraith, Paul Done and Ian Sheen, all of Tarvin, handing the money over to hospital representatives Dr Sandy Campbell and Sister Janet...
Finally, after what has felt like a life time without the Co-op cash machine the police think they have finally caught the culprit. The police have arrested and charged a man from Stockport aged 30 who they believe raided the Co-op cash machine in Tarvin on April 2nd.The arrest took place on August 2nd at Manchester airport and the man was subsequently charged with one count...