Street Farm, Kelsall Road, Tarvin, CH3 8NR
Edna Rose Room Community Centre
Tarvin Community Centre
Tarvin Community Centre
By Margaret Dixon - 3rd July 2016 6:00am
We are lucky to have a member of our group who is a Chester Cathedral guide so we decided that a tour of the Cathedral would make an interesting visit.
Twelve members and friends spent Monday morning, 27th June, enjoying the history of the Cathedral.
Originally on the site was a Roman temple, followed by two Saxon churches, before the Cathedral was founded in 1092. We saw the older parts, built in Romanesque style (Norman arches) which as the building developed gave way to the Gothic style.
In the Chapter House we saw early Gothic (1250) which used extra pillars in the windows to support a new roof structure. The Lady Chapel followed and now holds the shrine of St. Werburgh whose remains originally came from Ely to keep them safe from the attacking Danes
The Refectory has a rare example of a built in pulpit dating from 1220.
Of more modern interest are boys' names carved into the walls after it became the King's School after the dissolution of the monasteries. Above today's serving counter there are colourful stained glass windows, from 1951, depicting the Creation.
In the nave there was a 130 year time gap between the construction of the arches on either side due to the Black Death which killed so many stonemasons that it took so long to complete the other side.
Standing in the nave we could see the Chester Imp, who is the Devil in Chains and the Cathedral Organ which has 4860 pipes in total.
George Gilbert Scott was responsible for the work in Victorian times when walls were removed to open up what used to be the monastic part of the building. In the Quire Stall he cleverly had carving done to match the original woodwork from 1380. This is some of the best carving in the country and can be viewed at close quarters.
We walked around the cloisters and went into the garden where the water supply for the brick-walled pond was pumped from the Christleton area, now called Abbott's Well.
This wonderful building, situated on our doorstep , has so much to offer.
Ed"During the school holidays, from 16th July to 4th September, there is to be an exhibition of Lego models celebrating the world of transport. (There is a charge for this exhibition)"
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Last Friday night a group of teenagers...not from this development.... broke down virtually all the young trees in the little childrens' playground on the Saxon Heath TW development.The residents of the development will now have to pay additional fees to the ground maintenance company that looks after the public areas of the development (Something the LA should be doing!!!-...
In June 1991 villagers refused to be downhearted by what was described as "appalling weather" and hence helped to still raise £1,500 at the 20th Tarvin Carnival. Despite what at time amounted to torrential rain the show went on with the then traditional parade of floats round the village, with the first prize going to the Tarvin Primary School. Again in those days, there was the...
Half way through, and how many gnomes have you found?Its been wonderful watching so may people walking around the village, trying to find the most elusive of the 76 gnomes. The beautiful weather has helped, but it is the creativity on show that has been the main event.There is still plenty of time to take part, it runs until 22nd June, and Trails can be bought for £2...