If you are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick you can ask your supplier to add you to their Priority Service Register (PSR).
Free services available to Priority Service Register customers include:
- advance notice of planned power cuts -for customers who depend on their energy supply for medical reasons
- priority in an emergency -this could include providing alternative heating and cooking facilities in the event of supply disconnection
- password protection scheme -to provide reassurance that callers, for example meter readers, are genuine
- bill nominee scheme -customers can ask their supplier to send their bill to anybody (for example a family member or carer) who has agreed to receive it
- prepayment meters- if a customer is unable reach to their prepayment meter they can asked for it to be moved
- quarterly meter reading services -if no person occupying the premises is able to read the meter
- accessible information- suppliers can provide customers with account and bill information in an accessible format, eg. with larger print or braille
- annual gas appliance safety checks -for homeowners. (If you do not own your own home your landlord is responsible for ensuring that any gas appliances, fittings and flues are safe).