Tarvin Online Logo

Saving Lives- Cheshire Fire and Rescue

21st April 2014 @ 6:06am – by Tarvin Webteam
Back home  »  News  »  Saving Lives- Cheshire Fire and Rescue

Some people made a New Year's resolution to test their smoke alarms on the first of every month in 2014 – and beyond. Did you? Please make sure that you have enough smoke alarms in the home and that they work. It only takes a few seconds and saves lives.

A third of all deaths from fires in the home are caused by cigarettes. Smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because of careless behaviour such as smoking in bed, or not taking care after drinking alcohol.

And when smokers fall asleep with a lit cigarette in hand, their proximity to the resulting fire seriously lowers their chance of escaping in time.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding smokers to 'Put it Out, Right Out' whenever they light up; to install smoke alarms on every level of the home and to test them on the 1st of every month. Without a working smoke alarm you are at least four times more likely to die in an accidental fire in the home.

These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home:

  • Never smoke in bed. Take care when you're tired – it's very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight
  • Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.
  • Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999
  • Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service Cadets from Congleton, Runcorn and Sandbach won a national road safety award earlier this year as part of a campaign to help save young lives.
The 2young2die awards, co-ordinated by road safety charity Brake and sponsored by young driver insurance provider iKube, encourage young people to get creative and promote life-saving road safety messages to peers and their wider community through powerful campaigns

Candles in the home are now a popular way to add relaxation. Candles play an important role in birthdays, family gatherings, religious festivals and other special occasions. Candles, oil and incense burners, like any naked flame, can cause a fire in your home, particularly where there are children.

Get In Touch

TarvinOnline is powered by our active community.

Please send us your news and views.

Village Map

© 2023 TarvinOnline