St Andrew's Church, Tarvin
By Cheshire Constabulary - 27th November 2013 6:00am
This information has been sent on behalf of Cheshire Constabulary
As the rate of domestic burglaries goes up at this end of the year, owing to the darker evenings and the lure of expensive Christmas presents in many people's homes, Cheshire Police would like to issue some basic home security advice to the public.
Detective Inspector Justin Hancock, from Cheshire Police said: 'Officers will be focusing on information provided by members of the public to conduct enforcement activity, not just this week, but for weeks to come. We will use intelligence to target criminals who bring misery to our communities and bring them to justice. If anyone has any information concerning criminal activity in their area or sees any suspicious activity, they should contact the police or Crimestoppers.'
Superintendent Jon Betts added, 'Many domestic burglaries happen because of insecure doors or windows. People just don't realise they are leaving burglars a calling card if they leave their homes insecure. Cheshire Constabulary police officers and staff are actively engaged in their communities delivering these key messages and crime prevention advisors visit peoples home to give valuable advice to home owners on what steps they can take to keep themselves and their homes safe'
Common methods used by burglars to enter people's homes
- During one month in the east of Cheshire, 15 burglars gained entry via insecure doors or windows.
- Burglars standing on wheelie bins that have been left out under open bedroom windows.
- Noticing a house is empty from there being no lights on at night, or a car is not on the driveway
- DIY tools or gardening tools left out in the garden being used to pry open doors or windows
- Leaving keys or valuables on display where they can be seen and reached easily through open windows or doors
Items of interest to burglars
Jewellery, games consoles, laptops, mobile phones, wallets, handbags or car keys left lying around or in coats or jacket are just some of the high value items which burglars are looking for
Tips on home security