George V Playing Field
By Tarvin Webteam - 24th November 2014 6:00am
The Selfcare Day at Tarporley Community Centre on Wednesday 19th November proved to be a great success judging by the number of Health Services publicising their services, and the large number of visitors taking advantage of the information available, and the excellent refreshments.
Health & Wellbeing was the theme of the event organised by Tarporley and Bunbury Surgeries and supported by both Cheshire West and Chester Council and Cheshire Clinical Commissioning Group and celebrated National Self-care Week.
Organisations attending included:
- The Chester Heart Support Group-They have a varied programme of social events throughout the year including musical nights, day trips, cruises, skittles and a Christmas dinner dance. Anything that is Good for Mind, Body and Soul. Download Newsletter here
Contact: Jane Chesby Membership Secretary t: 01244637587 email:email@example.com
- Cook Well for Diabetes at Kelsall Community Centre — If you have been on the Diabetes Essentials Course offered by The Countess of Chester Hospital then you can take advantage of the Free 4 week course "Diabetes Essentials Course" starting in 2015. This course covers cookery demonstrations, new recipe ideas, food labels, portion sizes, glycaemic index & healthy diet.
If you haven't been on the Diabetes Essentials Course then call 01244365234 to book your place. Download info here
Contact:01513566970 for further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org Website www.lhlc.co.uk
- Chester Community Car Scheme — Run by Cheshire Community Action this scheme has been set up to help people in the community, with a group of car owners each volunteering a little of their time. You need to register to use the scheme. Download leaflet here
They are also appealing for Volunteer Drivers for the Chester and District Community Car Scheme. Download details here
- The Silver Line — Information, friendship and advice for people in later life. If you're home alone, or feel you have no-one to turn to, don't struggle with loneliness, just pick up the phone. It is Free, confidential and open 24hours. Download leaflet here
Contact: 08004708090 (landlines free) 03004708090 (mobile at local rate)
- OPAL Older People Active Lives — Opal Clubs are social clubs for older people who need support to get out and about. Includes courses and the very popular GOON line which helps older people to learn how to access the internet. Download info here
Contact: Opal Clubs Zoe Blocksidge 07562619275 or GO Online Jean Toyn 0753156220
- Deafness Support Network — Expert advice on the most suitable equipment to meet each individual's needs. Download info here
- Stroke Association - Information, Advice and Support Service provided by the Stroke Association. Help to recognise the symptons of a stroke using the FAST test, The Face, Arm, Speech, Time. Download info here
Contact: Helpline 03033033100 Website: www.stroke.org.uk
- British Lung Foundation — Breathe Easy Support Groups for information, support and friendship. Location The Church Hall, ll saints Church, Vicarage Rd, Hoole Third Friday each month, 1pm to 3pm. Download info here
Contact: Helpline 03000030555
- Making Space - Offers a wide range of breaks to carers of people who experience mental illness. The Service is accessible to Carers aged 18 and over, in mixed age, ethnicity and gender groups, and take place at venues throughout the County. They also provide Employment Development Services and Carer Support Services. Download info here
Contact: Jenny Harrington, Co-ordinator Tel: 0160677720 mail:email@example.com
- Healthwatch Cheshire — An independent voice for the people of West Cheshire, helping to shape and improve local health and social care services. Download info here
Contact: Healthwatch West Cheshire Tel:08453402859 or 01606351134
Email: info @healthwatchcwac.org.uk Website:www.healthwatchcwac.org.uk
- Age UK Cheshire — It's never too late to think about getting active, Get Going Together is a programme especially for older people with health conditions. Download info here
Contact: Tel: 08453734300 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:www.ageukcheshire.org.uk
- Alzheimer's Society — Support Groups for people with dementia, their carers and families in Chester West and Chester. Download info here
Contact: Tel: Northwich Office 0160678110 Chester Office 01244851351
- The University of the Third Age — U3A Tarporley and District. It is a unique and exciting self-help educational movement for people no longer in full time work.
Contact: The Third Age Trust Tel: 02084666139 Email Tarporleyu3a@outlook.com or email@example.com Website: www.u3a.org.uk