In February 1992, Woodfin's hardware store closed for the last time and with it 87 years of family history.
Woodfin's store had been trading since 1905. when Zacchaeus Woodfin set up a cycle and motor shop on the site of a timber-framed cottage on the High Street. During the Second World War the family business expanded to a full blown village store selling diverse commodities such as petrol and bread.
In 1945, Zacchaeus's daughter, Alice Cliffe, took over the shop and it became a hardware outlet stocking everything from nails and scewws to houshold utensils. Alice was superseded in 1968 by her nephew, David Woodfin who continued to manage the business until February 1992 when he retired at the age of 56.
The store was subsequently demolished and replaced by a two bedroom cottage built on the site of the store.
Ed: The colour photograph shows the Woodfin store site as it looks today. Does anyone have a photograph of the original Woodfin store?