Firefighters Warn of Smoking Nightmares

Home » Newsroom » Firefighters Warn of Smoking Nightmares

Upcoming events

Tarvin village
Tarvin Civic Trust
Today 8:00pm
Tarvin Community Centre
Tarvin village
Friday Film Night
28th September 2018 6:00pm
Tarvin Community Centre
Tarvin village
Curse of the Mummy/Blue Carbuncle
5th October 2018 7:30am
Tarvin Community Centre
Tarvin village
Ashton Hayes & Tarvin Flower Club
10th October 2018 7:30pm
Tarvin Community Centre

Latest news

Summer Quiz 2018 Answers Scan_20180912
All the Answers to Tarvin Community Centre's Summer Prize Quiz
Tarvin Webteam: Yesterday
watch
Have You Lost the Watch
Tarvin Webteam: Yesterday
Gypsy Site
CW&C Revisit Gypsy & Traveller Sites
Tarvin Parish Council: Sunday 23rd Sep
council meeting clipart
Parish Council Agenda 24/09/18
Tarvin Webteam: Sunday 23rd Sep
Hollow Way2small
The Hollow Way-2
David Keogh: Saturday 22nd Sep
TMC Salvation Army Band Sept 2018 09 13_19 34 04_609_resized
Salvation Army Band at Tarvin Methodist Church
Doreen De Cani: Saturday 22nd Sep
Wizard of OZ maxresdefault
Could it be you?
Tarvin Webteam: Friday 21st Sep
20mph sign
Tarvin's 20mph speed limit
Mike Hassall, Clerk to Tarvin Parish Council: Friday 21st Sep
Grow Your Own WW1 7940-01-Murray-School-War-garden1
Remembering the First World War - Tarvin Does its Bit
Jo Richards: Thursday 20th Sep
Police Meeting logo10P5
Cheshire's Police and Crime Commissioner
Caroline Tozer, Communications Officer, Police and Crime Commissioner: Wednesday 19th Sep
Flower Club Sept 2018
Ashton Hayes and Tarvin Flower Club.
Margaret Dixon: Tuesday 18th Sep
THR Dale farm Donation Scan_20180913 (2)
Tarvin History Revealed - Dale Farm Donation to Tarporley Hospital
Tarvin History Group: Monday 17th Sep
Cardtable2 (1)
All Dressed Up and Looking for a Game.
Tarvin Community Centre: Sunday 16th Sep
Mens finalists Graham Bunting and Peter Nosworthy 20180909_152336
Tarvin Tennis Club - Finals' Day 2018
Rob Millar: Saturday 15th Sep
Fires

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service is warning people about the dangers of smoking after three fires over the weekend.

Two of the blazes resulted in casualties and all three were caused by smoking materials.

The incidents, in Neston, Chester and Ellesmere Port, highlight the deadly dangers of smoking which will be promoted by CFRS as part of this month's Fire Kills campaign.

The first incident was on Saturday 29 March in The Quillet, Neston. One fire engine from Ellesmere Port and one from Heswall (Merseyside FRS) were called to a house fire. Firefighters, two wearing breathing apparatus, found a small fire in a downstairs room which had been caused by a discarded cigarette. A casualty was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.

The next incident, in Walmoor Park, Chester at 19:45 on 29 March, was a fire in a ground floor living room from which firefighters rescued a woman. She was suffering from smoke inhalation so crews from Ellesmere Port and Chester gave casualty care until paramedics arrived. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet and a high pressure fan to put out the fire and disperse smoke.

The third incident over the weekend involved a fire in a wheelie bin, into which lit smoking materials had been dropped. It happened in New Grosvenor Road, Ellesmere Port at 19:41 on Sunday 30 March. Firefighters used a hose reel jet to put out the blaze.

These simple steps can help prevent a cigarette fire in the home:

  • Never smoke in bed. Take care when you're tired — it's very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight
  • Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.
  • Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999
  • Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended — they can easily overbalance as they burn down
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn.

A third of all deaths from fires in the home are caused by cigarettes. Smoking is the single biggest killer in accidental fires in the home, often because of careless behaviour such as smoking in bed, or not taking care after drinking alcohol.

Some 288 fires have been caused by smoking materials in Cheshire over the last three years for more info click here