Tarvin Methodist Church
Scout Hut, King George V Playing Field Car Park
Tarvin Methodist Church
Tarvin Community Centre
By Tarvin Webteam - 16th August 2016 6:00am
Cheshire Police is urging families and neighbours to warn elderly residents of a telephone scam involving fraudsters posing as internet providers.
A man has contacted a number of victims in the areas of Crewe, Chester, Warrington and Runcorn to tell them their modem was not compatible with their computer and the customer was owed £200.
The fraudster then informs the victim a bigger sum had been transferred instead by mistake, which they needed to repay.
Officers are reminding residents to remain vigilant and are issuing the following advice in-case they receive one of these telephone calls.
- Don't be afraid to put the phone down on someone if you are unsure about handing over details.
- Banks never call and ask for your four-digit card Pin or ask you to withdraw money to hand over to them or transfer money to another account.
- Never assume a caller is genuine just because they hold some information about you. Criminals may already have some basic information, such as a name, address and account details to try to make the call appear legitimate.
- Always be wary of cold callers who suggest you hang up the phone and call them back.
- Alternatively, if you do not have a second phone then you could try phoning a relative or friend, that way you know that the offender is not still on the line.
- Remember that it takes two people to terminate a call so try and use a different phone line if you are asked to ring back. If you think you've already been a victim of this scam, contact your bank or card company immediately.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The Manor Deli & Bistro formally Jessop's is now under new management. It will continue to operate as a sandwich shop for eat in or take away food,Also it will now have the addiction of seating downstairs for coffee teas and sandwiches.Meanwhile there will be a Sri Lankan themed buffet up stairs in the Bistro which will run every Friday and Saturday night, all authentically...
Unlike many or our neighbouring villages, Tarvin has had no maps on display of our historic village centre Conservation Area. Tarvin Civic Trust thought that posting a display somewhere in the village centre might fit the bill. We considered display boards of all shapes and sizes but where would we put them? Then we lit on the idea of posting a display on the back window of the bus shelter...
Is it to early to be thinking about Christmas? Well according to Tarvin Sands it's not. This Christmas make your way through their beautiful winter wonderland and prepare yourself for a magical experience like no other.Take a seat and watch as Santa calls you upon his fairy tale friends to save Christmas in this magical musical Christmas spectacular.Not only will you be...