By Rob Millar - 29th March 2016 6:00am
The intention is that when complete,the new clubhouse will replace the ancient (we believe it was erected in 1934) timber building, which understandably is showing real signs of wear and deterioration. The new clubhouse is therefore arriving just in time. Staying is the larger of the two existing buildings, but the new clubhouse will be home to most of the important changing, toilet and catering facilities.
The Tennis Club is funded exclusively by members' subscriptions and therefore being able to embark on a project of this scale is beyond the Club's resources. Most of the money for the improvement is being provided by a grant from Sport England and the Club feels very fortunate to have been successful in obtaining such a grant.
Also forming part of the improvement project is the floodlighting of the two lower courts. Planning permission has now been granted and once one or two difficulties have been resolved with the Parish Council the Club will be in a position to go ahead with the scheme. The installation will be in operation by the Autumn and will enable the Club to extend its playing time, which will in particular enable the Club's junior coaching programme to be expanded.
It is an exciting time for Tarvin Tennis Club and the new facilities represent a major improvement to the village's sporting facilities. We hope as a result that more Tarvin residents will take advantage of the opportunity to play tennis.