The pre-election period will commence on Thursday 16th March when notices announcing the election will be placed on the Parish Council noticeboards, website, and facebook page. A similar notice will be given to Tarvinonline for publication that day.
Those wishing to seek election to the Parish Council (known as candidates) have from Friday 17th March until 4pm on Tuesday 4th April to complete their nomination papers and register them with Cheshire West and Chester Council (CWaC).
* There are 11 seats on the Parish Council (PC).
* Existing Councillors are eligible to apply again should they wish to do so.
* If after 4pm on 4th April there are more than 11 applications for the PC there will be a contested election on Thursday 4th May when local electors will be able to vote for the candidates of their choice.
* If there are 11 or fewer applications those applying will be automatically appointed.
To be eligible a candidate must be:
* A British, Commonwealth, Irish, or European Union citizen
* At least 18 years old
* Either on the list of electors for the parish,
OR during the whole of the previous twelve months has:
* Occupied land in the parish as an owner or tenant.
* Had a principal place of work in the parish.
* Resided in, or within three miles, of the parish.
Please be aware a person is disqualified from being a Councillor if they:
a) hold any paid employment or office in the local authority that they seek election to or
b) are the subject of a 'bankruptcy restrictions order' or other interim order or
c) have, within five years before the day of election, been convicted of any offence and has had passed on them a sentence of imprisonment of at least three months (whether suspended or not) without the option of a fine or
d) has been found guilty of corrupt or illegal practices or responsible for incurring unlawful expenditure and the court ordered their disqualification.
Candidates can obtain the necessary paperwork either by downloading the document from the Electoral Commission website, contacting CWaC Democratic Services (Tel 01244 977265), or requesting paperwork from our Parish Clerk (Mike Hassall – e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org – phone 01829 741075).
When completing the paperwork candidates will need a proposer and seconder from the Parish who sign the nomination paper. Their electoral polling district and elector number will need to be entered on the paper and these numbers can be obtained from the Parish Clerk who will also be happy to try to answer any queries on the nomination paper and also any other questions regarding the process.
TarvinOnline is powered by our active community.
Please send us your news and views.