Main Hall, Tarvin Community Centre
George V Playing Field
King George V Playing Field
By Tarvin Webteam - 26th April 2014 6:00am
Tarvin Imp thought these questions were easy — did you!
Here are the answers to the quiz posted 5th April
1. Which work, first published in 1848, ends with the call for "Working men of all countries, unite!"? The Communist Manifesto
2. Which London theatre is the home of the Royal Ballet? Royal Opera House (Covent Garden)
3. Which comic novel published in 1889 has the sub-title "To Say Nothing of The Dog"? "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerome
4. Which chemical element takes its name from a Greek word meaning 'stone'? Lithium
5. Which English railway pioneer was born at Wylam in Northumberland in 1781? George Stephenson
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Could I remind villagers to stick to the footpaths when walking through the fields. There are a great many people using the footpaths at the moment as you can imagine, but many of them are wandering off the footpaths across fields and even into fields of crops which have no footpaths at all. Villagers should always make sure that they are certain that they know where the footpath runs before...
For a long time, the only poplar tree of which I knew in Tarvin village was the lofty and upright Lombardy poplar growing in the hedge on Tarporley Road, opposite Hockenhull Avenue. This is an entirely different type of tree from the so-called black poplar, which is reckoned to have been very common in this area in times gone by. Imposing and elegant, the black poplar (Populus nigra) was once a...