Why Saxon Heath?

Home » Newsroom » Taylor Wimpey Development

You may have wondered why the developers of the new development at Tarporley Road have proposed "Saxon Heath" as its name.

This is, I suggest, is because the remains of a Saxon Cross were found during the exploratory dig by Chester Archaeological Department prior to the housing development on the adjacent site at the corner of Tarporley Road and Broomheath Lane

Saxon Cross in St Andrew's display

The Anglo-Saxon Cross head, which dates from 10th to the early 11th century AD, was discovered in a 17th century ditch during excavations in 2006.
It is believed that the cross was a wayside cross and boundary marker used not far from where it was found, and it is recorded as being destroyed in 1613 by John Bruen of Stapleford and his servants, Hugh Jones and John Eaton.
Similar acts of destruction were carried out on other crosses at Barrow, Vicars Cross, Christleton, and Eccleston, and the perpetrators were arraigned before the Star Chamber at Chester in 1614.

John Bruen was a Puritan, and together with other gentlemen of similar persuasion, believed that destroying these crosses would cause a "reformation of abuses and superstitions". They maintained that the crosses were used by local Catholics for superstitious and idolatrous worship.

The remains of the Tarvin Saxon Cross can be seen in the History Exhibition in St Andrew's Church

Tarvin Saxon Cross

The final decision on a name for the completed development (if any), and the roads thereon, is the prerogative of Tarvin Parish Council.

popular recent storiesAlso in the news

A51 Newsletter January 2019-page-001
Sat 12 Jan 6:00am  |  hits: 387

The attached document is a newsletter provided by the Action for A51 group and outlines the forthcoming proposals for the A51 over the next couple of years. The document also outlines the various hurdles still to be overcome.IMG(360303,O,N,...

Tarvinonline logo
Thu 10 Jan 6:00am  |  hits: 184

Perhaps you can remember that TarvinOnline started way back in June 2013. Since that time the Editorial team has been ever-present and has published over 3600 articles. As a minimum we put on one article every day (except major Bank Holidays) and often its two articles.Many of these are sent in by Tarvin residents via our email address and "all" the Editors have to do...

49707163_366155623941877_4424670038414327808_n
Tue 15 Jan 6:00am  |  hits: 166

The first round matches of the 38th Village Quiz took place on Friday 11th January in the Community Centre. Each year teams battle for the honour of holding "The Eric Plenderleith Trophy", and this year 11 teams were in the running.The evening began with an introduction from Alan Wilkinson, the current Chairman of the Community Centre, in which Alan outlined the work (which has been...